As you will know, each year the QAA collects and publishes data about Access to HE Diplomas and the learners that complete the qualifications. The latest report is titled QAA Access to Higher Education Diploma Key Statistics 2016-2017.
Published this year, below is a summary of the key findings that highlight learners’ achievements and progression for 2016-2017:
- 38,025 students registered on an Access to HE Diploma in 2016-2017
- 68% of all registered students completed their Access to HE Diploma in August 2017
- 92% of students who completed the course were awarded the Access to HE Diploma
- 79% of Access to HE students are accepted by higher education providers in their local area
- Top five subjects studied in higher education by students with an Access to HE Diploma (alphabetical order):
- Biological sciences
- Business and administrative studies
- Subject allied to medicine
- Social studies including social work
- 90% of higher education leavers with an Access to HE Diploma were in employment or further study six months after they completed the course
This report shows that Access to HE continues to support learners’ development through further education, into higher education and beyond. With prominent subjects such as medicine, education and social work being among the most popular areas studied by Access learners, it is clear that there is a keen interest to progress into these valued areas. Gateway Qualifications continues to develop diplomas in these areas to support this demand and by offering a range of subject areas and opportunities, we are proud to support learners to take positive steps to enhance UK productivity and get people into employment in important sectors, especially where there may be shortages.
“I think that these statistics speak for themselves and are the reason that we do what we do. Access to HE courses have the power to change lives, giving learners the opportunity to further themselves in higher education and employment. By offering a range of different diplomas, we are giving learners a wide variety of subjects to follow, and working closely with universities our courses will help prepare learners for the vigorous demands and opportunities that an undergraduate course offers.” – Sarah Doe, Access to HE Quality Manager, Gateway Qualifications
If you believe you have learners who would benefit from these kinds of qualifications, take a look at our Access to HE qualifications, or you can also give our Business Development team a call on 01206 911 240.