What is the purpose of this qualification?
This qualification is suitable if you need a broad, introductory Entry level performing arts course. It will be of specific relevance to:
• Young people interested in a career in the performing arts industry who intend, but are not yet ready, to access level 1 qualifications
• Learners with a learning difficulty and/or disability who would benefit from learning in a performing arts context
• Young people and adults, including those with learning difficulties and/or disabilities, who have ambitions to work in the performing arts industry but need a grounding in the subject and an opportunity to develop more general workplace skills, usually over a one year period, before deciding whether to apply for work or for a relevant level 1 course.
What skills, knowledge, or understanding does this qualification develop?
This qualification will provide you with a range of basic, introductory skills, as well as core knowledge, relevant to the performing arts, alongside generic employability skills which are needed both in the performing arts industry and across other sectors. You must take the three mandatory units below:
• Introduction to the Performing Arts
• Basic Performing Arts Skills
• Taking Part in a Performance.
Optional units cover knowledge and skills relating to dance, drama, music and backstage and administrative roles (such as creating dance, acting skills, musical ensemble skills, creating sets and stages and promoting performances), alongside generic employability skills (such as self-management skills and working in at team).
How is this qualification different from other, similar qualifications?
This qualification is part of a suite which includes an Award, Certificate and Diploma. You should take the Certificate if you need a broad introduction to the sector, as well as more generic workplace skills, before progressing to a Level 1 qualification or to employment (with further training where possible), as illustrated in the target learner profiles provided above. The Certificate may also be suitable for learners with learning difficulties and/or disabilities who want to include a qualification in an otherwise unaccredited course with a broader focus on increasing independence
Which sector does this qualification support?
You can progress to a Level 1 certificate or diploma in performing arts, including Gateway Qualifications Level 1 Certificate and Diploma in Skills for Performing Arts.
What are the progression options?
This qualification is primarily designed to lead to further learning, as job roles in the performing arts industry at this level are very limited, but you could progress from this qualification to an entry-level role such as production assistant or runner.
Progression & Entry Requirements
You do not need any prior qualifications or a specific level of attainment to take this qualification. It is available to learners of any age.