What is the purpose of this qualification?
This qualification is suitable if you need a comprehensive introductory Entry level qualification in the motor vehicle sector. It is particularly suitable for:
• Young people interested in a career in the motor vehicle sector who intend to access level 1 qualifications but will need a comprehensive learning programme before they are ready to do so
• Young people and adults with little or no prior attainment, including those with learning difficulties and/or disabilities, who wish to work in the motor vehicle sector but need an extensive grounding in the subject and an opportunity to develop more general workplace skills, over an extended period of time, before applying for work.
What skills, knowledge, or understanding does this qualification develop?
This qualification provides you with a comprehensive range of basic, introductory skills, as well as core knowledge, relevant to the motor vehicle sector, alongside generic employability skills which are needed both in the motor vehicle sector and across other sectors. You must take the following mandatory units:
• Introduction to the Retail Automotive Maintenance and Repair Industry
• Introduction to Motor Vehicle Workshop Safety
• Motor Vehicle Workshop Tools and Equipment
Optional units include knowledge and skills relevant to different job roles in the sector (such as routine motorcycle and vehicle checks, simple body repair processes and basic vehicle valeting) alongside generic employability skills (such as self-management skills and working in at team).
How is this qualification different from other, similar qualifications?
You can progress to a Level 1 certificate or diploma in the Motor Vehicle Sector, including Gateway Qualifications’ Level 1 Certificate and Diploma in Skills for the Motor Vehicle Sector.
This qualification is part of a suite which includes an Award, Certificate and Diploma. You should take the Diploma if before progressing to a Level 1 qualification or to employment (with further training where possible), you need a comprehensive introduction to the sector including the opportunity to build up a range of skills and knowledge, explore a number of potential job roles in the sector, and gain a set of more generic workplace skills. The Diploma is suitable if you who would benefit from an extended period of time working at Entry level, up to 2 years, before you are ready for Level 1.
Which sector does this qualification support?
You could progress from this qualification to an entry-level role in the motor vehicle sector such as a car valet or bodyshop assistant, but opportunities for jobs at this level are very limited
Progression & Entry Requirements
You do not need any prior qualifications or a specific level of attainment to take this qualification. It is available to learners of any age.