What is the purpose of this qualification?
This qualification is approved to be offered in England only. It offers an engaging programme for learners who have decided that they are going to continue a career in business administration supervision or team leading.
The qualification gives learners the opportunity to develop and demonstrate the skills and competence needed to work within business administration supervisory roles.
The qualification is generic and so is suitable for learners working in a wide range of business administration roles. It is aimed at people who need to develop and gain formal recognition of their knowledge, skills and understanding of the business administration environment.
The qualification is the competency component of the Advanced Apprenticeship Framework for supervisory roles within the business administration industry.
What skills, knowledge, or understanding does this qualification develop?
This qualification covers the knowledge, understanding and competence needed to work in a supervisory role in a range of business administration environments.
The qualification comprises of 58 credits and has a minimum of 282 - 432 guided learning hours.
Learners must achieve a minimum of 58 credits. 27 credits must be achieved from the mandatory group
The mandatory units are:
• Principles of business
• Principles of business communication and information
• Communicate in a business environment
• Principles of administration
• Manage personal and professional development
Learners then can choose from a wide range of optional units which provide them with the flexibility to choose those areas relevant to their particular setting. The units include:
• Contribute to the improvement of business performance
• Administer parking and traffic challenges, representations and civil parking appeals
• Negotiate in a business environment
• Provide administrative support in schools
• Build leg
How is this qualification different from other, similar qualifications?
The Gateway Qualifications Level 3 Diploma in Business Admin is suitable for learners who want a generic qualification which is suitable for a wide range of roles within a business environment.
Gateway Qualifications offers other Level 3 qualifications which may be more suitable if learners wish to specialise within specific sectors in a team leading or lower managerial/supervisory roles, for example within the logistics, retail or customer service sector.
The following qualifications are available from Gateway Qualifications:
• Gateway Qualifications Level 3 Diploma in Customer Service – which is suitable for people working at supervisory level in a customer service role
• Gateway Qualifications Level 3 Certificate in Retail Knowledge – which provides the underpinning knowledge and understanding for working within the retail sector or the Gateway Qualifications Level 3 Diploma in Retail Management which enables learners to demonstrate their competency in working within retai
Which sector does this qualification support?
This qualification is primarily intended as a means of developing the competence of those already employed within business administration and gives a good grounding for supervisory positions in the business administration sector. It forms the combined knowledge and competence part of the Advanced Apprenticeship within this sector.
Job roles within this sector which are supported by this qualification could include:
• Administration officers/executives
• Administration team leaders
• Office supervisors
• Personal assistants/secretaries
What are the progression options?
Learners could complete the advanced apprenticeship in business administration and then may choose to progress to a higher apprenticeship at level 4 such as:
Level 4 Diploma in Business and Administration
Level 4 Diploma in Business and Administrative Management
Level 4 NVQ Diploma in Business Administration
Progression & Entry Requirements
The qualification is available to learners aged 16 and above. It is expected that learners undertaking the qualification will already have gained previous qualifications in related subjects, for example, customer service or business administration qualification at Level 1 or 2 and have experience within the sector.