Gateway Qualifications’ Dyslexia qualifications have been recognised by the British Dyslexia Association (BDA) and can, therefore, gain BDA accreditation status once achieved by a candidate.
This means that these qualifications can be used as a starting point towards achieving Approved Teacher Status (ATS) or gaining an Assessment Practicing Certificate (APC).
Our approved qualifications:
On successful completion of Gateway Qualifications Level 5 Diploma in Teaching Learners with Dyslexia, Specific Learning Differences and Barriers to literacy, candidates can apply for:
- accreditation with BDA for Approved Teacher Status FE/HE if they have completed the course working with young people or adults over the age of 16
- Approved Teacher Status if working in schools
On successful completion of the Gateway Qualifications Level 7 Diploma in Assessing and Teaching learners with Dyslexia, Specific Learning Differences and Barriers to Literacy, candidates can apply for:
- Associate Membership of the BDS (AM BDA). The application will lead to gaining an Assessment Practising Certificate (APC) which will allow the learner to conduct Dyslexia assessments
Gaining a qualification with BDA accreditation status demonstrates the skills learned are of high quality and meets the high standards expected by the accreditation board.
Can I deliver these qualifications to staff in my centre?
Our dyslexia qualifications were designed for qualified practising and experienced teachers and other professionals who hold recognised professional qualifications. They can be taught by staff that meets the tutor/assessor requirements.
The tutor/assessors must either:
- hold or be working towards a recognised assessor/verifier qualification (e.g. D32/33, A1 or Award in Assessing Competence in the Work Environment); or:
- have experience of assessing competence-based qualifications; or:
- be under the supervision of an experienced and qualified internal quality assurer
More details can be found in the Qualification Specification for each qualification.
Following the successful completion of an accredited course, candidates must personally apply for either ATS (FE/HE) or AM BDA (FE/HE) within three years of successful completion of that course.