As an Awarding Organisation, we do not offer our qualifications directly to learners. We work with education providers (colleges, training providers, employers etc) across the country who provide the teaching, resources and assessments required to help you achieve our qualifications.

In many cases your college or learning provider will be best placed to help you and your individual needs and circumstances. However, we want to help in anyway we can too, so below you will find answers to the most common questions we are asked by learners.

If you cannot find the answer you need below, please use our online enquiry form to get in touch and we’ll get back to you as quickly as we can.

Where to study
Where can I study for one of your qualifications?
I have found a course on your website, are you able to confirm if there is any funding available?

Whether or not you are able to receive funding to help with the cost of a course depends on a lot of different factors such as your age, employment status, previous education and also on the contracts or agreements your chosen college/provider has with different funding agencies.

You should speak to the provider of your course who will be able to advise you of any funding available, or provide an Information of Funding Letter. They will also be able to let you know how to apply and ensure you meet any eligibility criteria.

Why am I being asked to pay a different cost to the price displayed on your website?

The prices displayed on our website are the per-learner registration and certification charge and do not necessarily reflect the charge a provider will make to learners.

In addition to the charges shown on our website, providers will have to take into account factors such as your eligibility for public funding, the cost of teaching staff, buildings and any other resources or equipment that they make available.

It is always best to check the cost of a course directly with a provider.

Replacement Certificates
I have lost my certificate, can I get a replacement?

In order to replace a certificate, we will require to complete an online application form. Please read all of the following information before completing the form.

Gateway Qualifications (formerly known as OCN Eastern Region) will endeavour to issue replacement certificates achieved within the last 10 years only.  In addition, if you studied a NOCN qualification we are unable to provide replacements and you should contact NOCN directly for further information.  If you are unsure, please contact your college or training provider for further information before proceeding with this application.

It costs £25.00 for a search of our archive records and is non-refundable whether or not the search is successful.  The fee includes the replacement certificate and/or amendment of the certificate requested and postage.

If we hold your results – What you need to know

  • This form should only be completed when the college or training provider you studied at no longer holds your records.  Please contact them before completing the form.
  • We aim to process the request within 10 working days after full payment is received.
  • All certificates will be sent by Royal Mail – 1st class recorded delivery to UK addresses.

If you wish to proceed – Please complete this form to request a replacement certificate.

My name has changed since I completed my qualification, how can I get my certificate updated?

Certificates must reflect your name at the time of the award. We can only approve name amendments on certificates in the following circumstances:

  • Obvious Spelling Errors
  • Evidence can be provided that the name was changed prior to the original certification
  • Gender Reassignment
  • UK Protected Person Service Status
How much does a replacement certificate cost?

It costs £25.00, including delivery within the UK and Europe, or £35.00 including delivery outside of Europe.

The fee is for a search of our archive records and is non-refundable whether or not the search is successful. The fee includes the replacement certificate and/or amendment of the certificate requested and postage.

If you wish to request a replacement certificate, please complete this form.

Receiving certificates
When will I get my certificate?

Your training provider or college will provide you with your certificate, so you should speak to them in first instance about when you can expect to receive your certificate.

Gateway Qualifications endeavours to dispatch certificates to centres within five working days of a successfully completed claim. This doesn’t necessarily mean that you will receive your certificate five days after completing your course as there may be work that needs to be marked or checked, or the provider may be planning an awards ceremony to present successful learners with certificates.

If you have spoken to your training provider and believe you should have received a certificate please contact us.

How can I tell if a certificate is genuine?

If you have a qualification certificate awarded by OCN Eastern Region or Gateway Qualifications that you would like to verify as authentic you can use our free Certificate Authentication service to instantly verify a certificate online.

You will need the following information to complete the authentication, most of which you will find on the certificate:

  • Qualification Number (QAN)
  • Certificate Number
  • Learner’s Name
  • Learner’s Date of Birth (DOB)
Why didn't I get the qualification I was expecting?

There can be a number of reasons why you have not received a certificate you were expecting.

It is always best to return to the college/provider where you studied and we will work with them to resolve the issue.

What is my certificate equivalent to?

It is difficult to draw direct equivalencies between qualifications due to the different subject matter and detail that qualifications cover.

Qualifications all have a Level which indicates the difficulty of the qualification. The higher the level, the more difficult the qualification.

Qualifications also have a size, this could be measured in credits or in the time an average person would be expected to take to complete the qualification.

The Gov.UK website provides a list of the different types of qualifications available at each level, and links to compare Scottish or overseas qualifications.

If you have achieved a level 3 qualification (such as Access to Higher Education) with the intention of progressing to Higher Education, you can use the UCAS Tariff Calculator to find out how many points each qualification attracts.

If you are intending to study a qualification to meet the entry requirements for a job or further study, we would always recommend checking with your intended employer or provider that they will accept that particular qualification before you start your studies.

How can I check my UCAS points?

The number of Tariff points for the Access to HE Diploma varies between 48 and 144 points, dependent on your grade profile.

For full details please read our guide to UCAS tariff.

Will my Higher Education Provider/University accept my certificate?

If you have achieved an Access to Higher Education Diploma it is a nationally recognised qualification, regulated by the Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (QAA) and will be accepted by most UK universities.

You should always check with the institution you intend to study at as they may have other entry requirements that you also need to meet, or require your Access to Higher Education Diploma to have specific subject focus.

Certificates do not have an expiry date, but some HE providers may require evidence of recent study.

Other questions
Where can I find more support and information about Access to HE?

We have a section on our website for Access to Higher Education students which provides more information and links you may useful.

Where can I find information about Functional Skills in 2019 and beyond?

Functional Skills Qualifications in English and mathematics are being reformed and new qualifications will be introduced for first teaching in September 2019.

Gateway Qualifications has taken the decision not to offer the new qualifications and also to withdraw its Information Communication Technology (ICT) Functional Skills qualification offer at the same time.

We have produced some information for learners affected by the withdrawal of our Functional Skills qualifications which is included in our update on Functional Skills.

I have another question which isn't answered here, where do I go now?

In many cases your college or learning provider will be best placed to help you.

If you need to contact us about anything else, please use our online enquiry form to get in touch and we’ll get back to you as quickly as we can.