Portfolio of Evidence
The aim of this unit is to consider the benefits of using ICT in the workplace. Learners will demonstrate their skills in using IT for a number of work-related tasks.
Unit Learning Outcomes
Know the importance of making effective use of ICT in the workplace
There are a number of benefits of the use of ICT to the individual and organisations. The following are just a few examples:
- quicker way to communicate both internally, externally and internationally
- way to record, share and access information
- supports those with sensory or learning difficulties e.g. larger font, voice recognition
- easier to write long, complex documents
Describe the key benefits of effective use of ICT to the individual and to the organisation.
Be able to identify the ICT requirements of workplace tasks
IT requirements could include:
- sending and receiving information e.g. email, text, voice mail
- communicating with colleagues e.g. video or teleconferencing
- preparing documents, letters, invoices, meeting minutes
Describe the ICT requirements for different familiar workplace tasks.
Be able to make safe use of an ICT system to undertake workplace tasks
In this learning outcome learners need to demonstrate their ability to use IT. Tasks could include:
- logging information from a customer
- writing, sending and responding to emails
- completing an on-line form
- completing an agenda for a meeting (the content could be given by the tutor)
- storing and retrieving information, according to given procedures
Throughout these tasks the learner should demonstrate their ability to follow workplace guidelines.
Use ICT to complete familiar workplace tasks efficiently.
Use ICT to store information so that it can be easily retrieved by self and others.
Follow workplace guidelines for safe and secure use of ICT.
Be able to use ICT to find and select information in the workplace
Learners need to be able to search for information for a familiar workplace task. Examples may include:
- searching the internet for a specific product
- accessing different folders to search for a specific file
- searching for information in an email from a colleague
The tutor will be able to provide further examples that are suitable for their own learners.
Use ICT to search for information for a familiar workplace task.
Select relevant information for a workplace task.