Portfolio of Evidence
The aim of this unit is to consider how to promote sustainability in an office environment and how to reduce waste in order to become more efficient.
Unit Learning Outcomes
Know how to support sustainability and efficiency in an office environment.
Learning Outcome 1: Indicative Content
Reasons for keeping waste to a minimum in an office environment may include:
- impact on the environment
- reduces cost
- more efficient
- meet business objectives
Main causes of waste and how to minimise it may include:
- excessive use of paper - print double-sided, avoid printing, reuse where possible
- computers - standby mode
- lighting - switch off when not required, sensors to switch off after inactivity
- thermostat management - effective temperature control
- water management - low flow toilets and showers, install aerators
- transportation - walk, cycle or use public transport to work
Safe and efficient ways to deal with waste in an office may include:
- recycling bins
- bottle banks
- safe disposal of clinical waste
Ways to improve work efficiency may include:
- working from home or a site nearer to home
- use of technology for meetings eg Skype, google hangout
- send emails rather than letters, where appropriate
1.1Outline why it is important to keep waste to a minimum in the office environment.
1.2Identify the main causes of waste in an office environment.
1.3Describe how to minimise waste in an office environment.
1.4Describe safe and efficient ways to deal with waste in an office environment, including any hazardous waste.
1.5Describe ways to improve work efficiency in the office, including through the use of technology.
Be able to support sustainability in an office environment.
Learning Outcome 2: Indicative Content
Learners must provide sufficient and valid evidence to achieve this outcome.
Evidence may include a log/diary, witness statements or an employer’s report.
2.1Keep waste to a minimum.
2.2Follow procedures for recycling.
2.3Follow procedures for the disposal of waste, including any hazardous materials.
2.4Follow procedures for the maintenance of equipment.
2.5Make best use of technology to work in an efficient way.