Secure storage is defined as a securely locked cabinet or cupboard.
The following instructions apply to all confidential materials relating to the administration and delivery of assessments.
- Centres must be able to demonstrate that the appropriate security systems are in place to prevent unauthorised access to the assessment materials.
- Assessment materials must be stored securely at all times.
- Only persons authorised by the Head of Centre and the centre contact must be allowed access to the centre’s secure storage facility.
- Centres must maintain the confidentiality of learner responses and learner details.
- Centres must ensure that all timed assignments are stored securely both before and after assessment sessions.
Assessments and any other confidential material, e.g. answer booklets, must be stored securely at the Centre’s registered address in a secure room solely assigned to the Administration Contact, restricted to two to four keyholders only. This is commonly referred to as a “box within a box”. The following requirements must be met.
Requirement – “a box within a box”
Secure room solely assigned to exams in a fixed building.
i.e. not a Portakabin or similar; meeting all of the following requirements:
• Walls, ceiling and floor of strong, solid construction
– Stud partition walls are only acceptable with metal reinforcement.
• Solid door or reinforced door with
• Strong secure/heavy duty hinges
• Security lock e.g. 5-lever mortice lock or a coded keypad lock or electronic security lock
• 2 to 4 key holders only
– A hollow panel door would require extra metal reinforcement.
The following must also be met (where applicable):
• If question papers are stored in a room with windows which are easily accessible, bars must be fitted, or the room alarmed. If the room has a glass panel in or above the door, e.g. for health and safety reasons, the glass must be toughened safety glass.
– Preferably on an upper floor with no windows.
– Upper floor window(s) with a balcony or flat roof must be fitted with bars or the room alarmed.
• If the volume of question papers is too great for secure storage in one room, you must use additional rooms within the centre.
These additional rooms must also meet the requirements for secure storage.
The secure room(s) must contain one of the following: (with 2 to 4 keyholders only)
• Strong non-portable safe
– Small safes must be fixed securely in place.
• Non-portable security cabinet with multi-point locking system
– A filing cabinet will need additional security features to increase its robustness.
• Metal cabinet with full-length external locking bar bolted to wall or floor
– For example, an external locking bar will ensure that question papers are stored in a secure environment at all times.
or where a centre has large numbers of question papers to store:
• Metal security screen, e.g. roll-down shutter, in front of open shelving.
where a centre has large numbers of question papers to store:
• Metal security screen, e.g. roll-down shutter, in front of open shelving
Secure materials downloaded on the day of an assessment, e.g. encrypted question papers received via email or downloaded from Gateway Qualifications’ secure extranet site, must be stored as per above.
The centre must tell Gateway Qualifications immediately if the security of the question papers or confidential supporting instructions is put at risk. Any natural disaster, fire, theft, loss, damage or any other circumstances which render the existing accommodation or secure storage of assessment materials at risk must be reported immediately to Gateway Qualifications.
Assessment Display Notice
This poster must be displayed in a prominent place both inside and outside each assessment room.
Assessment display notice
Although care has been taken in preparing the information published in this document, Gateway Qualifications cannot be held responsible for any errors or omissions and accepts no liability whatsoever for any loss or damage howsoever arising. Gateway Qualifications reserves the right to make changes to processes and procedures as necessary and to alter any content at any time with due notice.
This document does not apply to Access to HE Diplomas.