Gateway Qualifications has developed a set of support materials for those delivering ESOL.
These are available in Prism for Centres approved to run ESOL and include:
Comprehensive guidance on how assessments can be contextualised to make them appropriate for your learners with examples. The guidance covers:
- Speaking and Listening at E1, E2, E3, L1, L2
- Writing at E1, E2, E3
- Reading at E1
Teaching and Learning Resources
These resources have been written specifically to support tutors with delivering ESOL:
- Introduction to Teaching and Learning Activities: E1, E2, E3
- Introduction to Teaching and Learning Activities: E3, L1, L2
- Teaching and Learning Activities: E1, E2, E3 – 7 units of work
- Teaching and Learning Activities: E3, L1, L2 – 7 units of work
The units of work include:
- Food and Healthy Eating
Includes learning about food, meals, mealtimes, opinions about food and the concepts related to healthy eating
- Friends and Family
Includes learning about family members and friends, describing them, spending time with them, traditions and celebrations and getting on with people around you
Includes learning about taking part in community activities and learning about directions and places. It also covers community issues, community activities, charities and raising money.
- Sport and Leisure
Includes learning about different sports and exercise activities, the links between keeping fit and healthy, hobbies and pastimes.
- Employment Opportunities
Includes jobs, personal skills and qualities for employment, interests, work experience and planning for the future. It also covers job applications, interview skills and CV writing.
- Education, Training and Goals
Includes education, their own and in the UK, personal skills and qualities, education and training opportunities, personal goals and future plans and aspirations.
- Caring for the Environment
Includes weather, climate, geographical features, environment issues, living sustainably, environmental campaigns and awareness raising.
Independent Learning Materials
These learners packs are aimed at learners who do not:
- have readily available internet
- have access to a wide range of different reaching, viewing and listening resources
- Independent Learning Tutor Guidance
- Independent Stage 1 Activities to do on your own: E1 and E2
- Independent Stage 2 Activities to do on your own: E3
- Independent Stage 3 Activities to do on your own: L1 and L2
Not delivering ESOL with us?
We wanted to share a few extracts of the above resources with you to help support your delivery: