Apprenticeship Standard: Teaching Assistant
The Teaching Assistant apprenticeship standard is designed for apprentices working as Teaching Assistants in Primary, Special and Secondary education across all age ranges encompassing special educational needs and emotional vulnerabilities.
Job roles may include: Teaching Assistant, Learning Support Assistant, Specialist Support Assistant and Support for Specialist Curriculum Areas.
Full details of the standard are available on the Institute for Apprenticeships website.
English and Maths support
All apprentices must also achieve level 2 English and maths prior to taking their EPA. For those with an education, health and care plan or a legacy statement, the minimum requirement is Entry Level 3.
Complementary support qualifications
To support apprentices to demonstrate their knowledge, skills and behaviours and to complement your delivery of the Teaching Assistant Standard, the following qualifications may be useful.
- Level 2 Award In Brain-friendly Learning for Children in the Classroom
- Level 1 Award in British Values
- Level 2 Award in E-Safety
- Level 3 Award in E-Safety
- Level 2 Award in Mentoring
- Level 3 Award in Mentoring
- Level 4 Certificate in Supporting the Learning of Learners with Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND)
- Level 3 Award in Supporting Children and Young People with Autism
- Level 2 Award in Awareness of Asperger Syndrome
- Level 3 Award in Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Awareness
- Level 3 Award in Supporting Learners with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
- Level 2 Award in Dyslexia Awareness
- Level 3 Award in Dyslexia Awareness
- Level 3 Award in Supporting Learners with Dyslexia
- Level 3 Award in Supporting the Maths Learning of Individuals with Dyslexia
- Level 3 Award in Supporting the Literacy Learning of Individuals with Dyslexia
- Level 3 Award in Dyspraxia Awareness
- Level 3 Award in Supporting Learners with Dyspraxia
- Level 2 Award in Safeguarding and Protecting Children and Young People
- Level 4 Award in Action Research
- Level 2 Award in Information, Advice or Guidance
- Level 3 Award in Information, Advice or Guidance
- Level 3 Certificate in Teaching and Learning in Physical Education in Primary Schools
A range of support materials are available to approved centres and these can be accessed through Prism.
View a sample of our support materials.
Gateway Qualifications has formed an advisory group, to review the kind of support you might need to meet the requirements of employers to develop their Teaching Assistants undertaking the apprenticeship standard.
The role of the Advisory Group is to inform Gateway Qualifications’ development of provision and support to meet new Standards and support Learning Providers. The Group will initially advise on ideas around further development of an offer for the sector. At the end of the consultation period, when the offer is rolled out, it is hoped that Gateway Qualifications can continue to link with colleagues, to share learning from the Group and wider.
If you are interested in being part of this advisory group, please email email@example.com.