Prepare for further learning or training and/or develop knowledge and/or skills in a subject area
Qualification Grading Type
Why choose this qualification?
The objective of Gateway Qualifications’ qualifications in Preparing for Self-Employment is to make learners aware of the self-employment opportunities available to them, the skills and behaviours needed to be successful, the practicalities of being self-employed and the support available to them. Learners will also consider sources of income and types of expenditure, and associated record-keeping.
Rules of Combination
Learners must complete the mandatory unit from the Mandatory Group (M), totalling 3 credits. In addition, they must complete a minimum of 6 credits from Group O1 (Optional units - Preparing for Self-Employment).
3 credits must be completed from this group
Introduction to Self-Employment
A minimum of 6 credits must be completed from this group.
Creating Business Web-pages
Customer service skills
Personal Budgeting and Managing Money
Understanding Online Business Activities
Website Design and Development
What is the purpose of this qualification?
The aim of this Award is to help learners understand how to become self-employed, the support available and the challenges involved. They will consider the advantages and disadvantages of self-employment; potential sources and levels of income and expenditure as well as the specific responsibilities of a self-employed person.
What skills, knowledge, or understanding does this qualification develop?
Learners will develop knowledge and understanding of the core areas of self-employment and an introduction to the skills required in the digital world.
Progression & entry requirementsThere are no entry requirements
There are now two main sources for funding information, a straightforward ESFA Qualification Search and the more detailed Find a Learning Aim website.
The new Find a learning aim (FALA) service provides a search tool that you can use to check the funding status of any qualification, framework, unit, standard or T Level:
The Education and Skills Funding Agency search provides funding information on qualifications. It does not provide funding information for units, non-regulated activity and work placements, for this information please use Find a learning aim (FALA).
How to find a learning aim
If you’re not sure how to use the new find a learning aim website, we’ve created a handy walkthrough to help you:
We have done our best to collate and summarise the key information, and wherever possible we alert our providers to changes in funding policy.
This funding information is provided in good faith and it is always advisable to check directly with the funding agencies before committing to delivery.
A free resource pack is available for this qualification.
We have pre-selected some of the most popular units used in short courses for adults and created a resource pack to support online, blended and face-to-face teaching and learning.
Units in this qualification with resources:
- Introduction to Self-Employment
- Customer service skills
- Understanding Online Business Activities
Each pack contains:
- Teacher Delivery Guide – This guide summarises the delivery of the units and helps provide a structured, blended approach to the delivery of the units for face-to-face, remote delivery, or a mixture of both. The teaching and learning activities included can be adapted to meet the diverse needs and profile of learners.
- Learner Pack – This pack includes guidance for learning activities which will help learners to think about what they have been discussing with the teacher and the rest of the group. There are also assessment tasks which can be used as evidence for the qualification. Finally, there are checklists where learners can assess their own skills development and progress and record sheets for activities observed by the teacher.
- Teacher Resource PowerPoint – a ready-to-deliver PowerPoint presentation for each unit, featuring videos and activities for learners, along with comprehensive notes for teaching staff.
These resources are available free of charge to Centres approved with Gateway Qualifications. They can be downloaded from our Prism system and can be found on the “Documents” tab of the relevant qualification.