What is the purpose of this qualification?
The purpose of this qualification is to develop learners' understanding and knowledge in motor vehicle services and to support progression to the next level of vocational learning in sport, fitness and active leisure services or a related area. It is anticipated that this qualification will be of specific relevance to:
• unemployed adults needing to demonstrate their interest in and commitment to a particular vocational area to potential employers, particularly where further work-based training will be on offer.
• young people on traineeships who are working at Level 1 and are seeking a short, focused qualification in the sector in which they wish to work/gain an apprenticeship, as part of the work preparation training element of a traineeship.
• learners of any age who have been disengaged with learning and need a short introduction at level 1 before progressing straight to a larger certificate or diploma at level 2.
What skills, knowledge, or understanding does this qualification develop?
This qualification provides an introductory set of knowledge and skills, relevant to sport and active leisure. The choice of mandatory units includes:
• Working in Sport and Active Leisure
• Taking part in Exercise and Fitness
How is this qualification different from other, similar qualifications?
This qualification is part of a suite which includes an Award, Certificate and Diploma. Learners should take the Award if they need only a small amount of focused learning in sport and active leisure before progressing to employment (with further training where possible) or to a Level 2 qualification, as illustrated in the target learner profiles provided above.
Which sector does this qualification support?
This qualification could lead to an entry-level role in sport and active leisure such as fitness instructor assistant, leisure centre assistant.
What are the progression options?
Learners can progress to a Level 2 certificate or diploma in Sport and Active Leisure, including Gateway Qualifications’ Level 2 Certificate and Diploma in Sport, Fitness and Active Leisure and other Level 2 qualifications such as Sports Coaching, Sports Fitness, Sports Leadership.
Progression & entry requirements
You do not need any prior qualifications or a specific level of attainment to take this qualification. It is available to learners of any age.