What is the purpose of this qualification?
This qualification is primarily intended as a means of developing the competence of those already employed or wishing to progress to senior management within the retail industry. It forms part of the Higher Apprenticeship within this sector.
This qualification covers the competence needed to work in the retail industry and is ideal for those working in a managerial or senior managerial role, or who wish to progress in their retail sales career to this level. It is also suitable for adult learners to complete as a stand-alone qualification to confirm occupational competence whilst working in a senior management role in retail.
The qualification has been designed for learners aged 18 and above who are capable of reaching the required standards. It is likely that they will be wishing to advance in their retail career. There is a requirement for the qualification to be assessed in the workplace or in a realistic working environment to allow learners to gain hands-on experiences they train.
What skills, knowledge, or understanding does this qualification develop?
Learners will develop the skills and competence required to work in a senior retail managerial role. Learners must achieve a minimum of 40 credits and undertake 180-215 guided learning hours. A minimum of 27 credits must be achieved at Level 4 or above, of which 20 credits must come from the units in the Mandatory Group M. The remaining 20 credits must come from Optional Group O with a maximum of 13 credits at Level 3.
The mandatory units are:
• Manage customer service in retail
• Retail management skills
Learners then choose from a range of optional units including:
• Graphics in the Retail Environment
• Installing window displays for retail
• In-store visual merchandising for successful retail Project management skills
• Design Development, Creativity and Business Development
• Independent Strategic Retail Management Project
• Support individuals to develop and take responsibility for their performance
• Address performance problems affecting team members
• Manage risk in own ar
Which sector does this qualification support?
This qualification is primarily intended as a means of developing the competence of those already employed or wishing to progress to senior management within the retail industry.
It could lead to roles such as:
• Store Operations
• Management level jobs that fall under this area.
• Director of operations
• Regional Manager
• Area Manager
• Store Manager
• Assistant Store Manager
• Floor Manager
• Department Manager
• Assistant Department Manager
Progression & Entry Requirements
Learner could progress to a higher level qualification in the same subject or to further develop their skills at Level 4 within business administration or customer service. This could include:
• Level 4 Diploma in Retail Knowledge
• Level 4 Diploma in Business and Professional Administration
• Level 4 Diploma in Management