Gateway Qualifications is delighted to have developed a partnership agreement with the University of East London that provides enhanced progression opportunities for Access to HE students and professional development and masterclasses for staff at approved providers.
Supporting students to achieve their goals
Gateway Qualifications has a long and successful history of widening participation and supporting students to achieve their life goals, whatever their circumstances.
In order to strengthen this priority Gateway Qualifications and the University of East London (UEL) have come together to be able to offer progression routes and benefits for students to achieve their ambition of a higher education place in preparation for their chosen career.
We have collaborated to develop a range of benefits for both students registered on a Gateway Qualifications Access to HE Diploma and the academic staff delivering these diplomas in order that the students’ journeys to their career of choice are fully supported and achievable.
Benefits for Access to HE students
This new agreement offers a significant range of benefits for eligible students who apply to the University of East London for their degree:
- Guaranteed offer or interview on an undergraduate degree programme at UEL (as set out in the subject map)
- Access to UEL’s independent matrix-accredited information, advice and guidance services for bespoke workshops
- Curriculum enrichment opportunities from UEL during their Access to HE course
- Access to transition support events prior to starting their degree at UEL
Benefits for Access to HE teaching staff
- Direct and planned progression routes for students applying to UEL
- Professional development support for staff and a community of best practice from Gateway Qualifications and the University of East London
- Long term collaborative opportunities with UEL, Gateway Qualifications and employers to create, design and develop Access to HE Diplomas with identified progression routes to employment
About the University of East London (UEL)
The University of East London has been pioneering futures since 1898: from the 2nd Industrial Revolution through to where we are now, the 4th. We are a careers-led university, dedicated to supporting our students to develop the skills, emotional intelligence and creativity needed to thrive in a constantly changing world.
Which courses does it apply to?
The agreement covers most Gateway Qualifications Access to HE Diplomas where there is a viable undergraduate programme offered by UEL. Full details of the courses covered by this agreement are set out in the subject map.
The final subject map is being finalised and will be available on this page soon. If you are an Access to HE provider, sign up for our webinar to be among the first to know when it is released.
Spread the word
We’ve collaborated with UEL to produce flyers Centres can use to explain the benefits to their staff and students, please download, print and share them. There is space for you to add appropriate contact details if you want to use the student flyer in your own promotion of Access to HE.
Upcoming CPD events
We are delighted to confirm the dates of our programme of exciting professional development support sessions available for all Access to HE staff and students at recognised centres for 2021-22. These form part of our progression agreement with the University of East London (UEL).
These sessions are free to attend and exclusively for staff at Gateway Qualifications approved Access to HE Centres. Staff at approved centres will be sent details of how to join a session nearer the time.
All sessions will start at 15.30 on the day, so make sure that you keep a free spot in your diary to attend and don’t forget to share with your Access to HE colleagues too.
Masterclasses for Access to HE practitioners
Below are details of the events planned for staff at Centres approved to deliver Gateway Qualifications Access to HE Diplomas:
Supporting students with their university applications – 29 September 2021
- Including effective personal statements and reference writing.
Approaches to learning in the online world – 20 October 2021
- Approaches to blended, hybrid, asynchronous and synchronous learning, and flipped learning.
Study skills for higher education – 1 December 2021
- Discover innovative and interesting ways you can support your students and the skills they need to progress in higher education.
Mental health and wellbeing – 26 January 2022
- Focusing on how you can support your students, recognising the challenges, understanding the impact, as well as caring for your own mental wellbeing.
Coaching for tutoring – 2 March 2022
- Designed to help you coach students and support them during the final months of their Access to HE Diploma; how to use questioning to challenge students to make positive outcomes.
Curriculum enrichment opportunities for students
We are also pleased to confirm below, a number of events specifically for your Access to HE students. These will be supportive and informative sessions to ensure they are fully prepared for progression to higher education.
UCAS applications – 6 October 2021
- Choosing the right course and writing effective personal statements.
Study skills for higher education 8 December 2021
- Discover innovative and interesting techniques that will develop the key skills required to progress in higher education.
Mental health and wellbeing – 19 January 2022
- Focussing on how to manage mental health and wellbeing and techniques to employ at critical points of an Access to HE Diploma.
All sessions are free to attend for staff and students of Centres approved to deliver Access to HE with Gateway Qualifications and will be delivered by experts from the University of East London. Please share with colleagues and your students so they are able to save the dates in their diary and take advantage of the activities available to them. More details on joining instructions will be sent to approved Access to HE Centres nearer the time.