Essential Digital Skills qualifications (EDSQs) are now available and will be automatically funded for adults who don’t have the basic digital skills that are typically required for life and work.
Sign up to one of our introductory webinars to see the online assessment platform, or get in touch if you are ready to begin delivery of the qualifications.
It is estimated that one in five adults lack foundation skills in digital technology. To fill this gap, the Department for Education is introducing digital skills qualifications based on the essential digital skills framework. These qualifications are designed for adults, and will be available from September 2020.
A 2018 report found that:
- 11.3 million people (21%) lack the full basic digital skills
- 4.3 million (8%) have no basic digital skills at all
- 5.4 million working adults (10%) are without basic digital skills
- People with a registered disability are 4 times as likely to be offline
- 28% of those aged 60+ are offline
The qualifications are based on the national standards (created in April 2019), and will be aimed at adults aged 19+. The qualifications are intended to support adults who want to join the digital world by learning digital skills for life, their work or for use in further study.
The Essential Digital Skills standards are:
- Using devices and handling information (includes how to store information)
- Creating and editing
- Communicating online (such as via Social Media)
- Transacting (buying) online activities
- Being responsible, safe and legal online
However, when we spoke to providers about developing these qualifications, we found that the standards aren’t well understood. To help with this, we’ve turned the DfE’s information into a handy infographic, which explains the five skill areas covered by the standards.
Introducing our Essential Digital Skills Qualifications
Sign up for one of our launch webinars to learn more about these new qualifications, to see our online assessments and to find out what you need to do to be ready to teach them from 1st August 2020.
View our qualifications
Gateway Qualifications is the first Awarding Organisation to complete Ofqual’s technical evaluation and to be able to make EDSQs available to Centres.