What is the purpose of this qualification?
It is anticipated that this qualification will be of specific relevance to:
• Young people interested in a career in the hair and beauty sector who intend to access level 1 qualifications but will need a fairly extensive learning programme before they are ready to do so
• Young people and adults with little or no prior attainment, including those with learning difficulties and/or disabilities, who wish to work in the hair and beauty sector but need a fairly extensive grounding in the subject and an opportunity to develop more general workplace skills, over an extended period of time, before applying for work.
What skills, knowledge, or understanding does this qualification develop?
This qualification provides a wide range of basic, introductory skills, as well as core knowledge, relevant to hair and beauty, alongside generic employability skills which are needed both in the hair and beauty sector and across other sectors. Mandatory units include:
• Introduction to the Hair and Beauty Sector
• Presenting a professional image in a salon
• Health and Safety in the Salon Environment
Optional units include knowledge and skills relevant to different job roles in the sector (such as make-up application, hair styling, skin care, nail care) alongside generic employability skills (such as self-management skills, solving work related problems and working in at team).
How is this qualification different from other, similar qualifications?
This qualification is part of a suite which includes an Award, Certificate and Diploma. Learners should take the Diploma if before progressing to employment (with further training where possible) or to a Level 1 qualification, they need an extended introduction to the sector including the opportunity to build up a range of skills and knowledge, explore a number of potential job roles in the sector, and gain a set of more generic workplace skills. The Diploma will be suitable for learners who would benefit from an extended period of time working at Entry level, up to 2 years, before they are ready for Level 1.
Which sector does this qualification support?
This qualification could lead to an entry-level role in hair and beauty such as beauty salon assistant, hair salon assistant, nail technician.
What are the progression options?
Learners can progress to a Level 1 certificate or diploma in Hair and Beauty, including Gateway Qualifications’ Level 1 Certificate and Diploma in Skills for the Hair and Beauty Sector as well as other Level 1 qualifications such as Hairdressing, Beauty Therapy, Barbering.
Progression & Entry Requirements
Learners do not need any prior qualifications or a specific level of attainment to take this qualification. It is available to learners of any age.