What is the purpose of this qualification?
This qualification provides a basic, introductory set of knowledge and skills, relevant to hair and beauty. It is anticipated that this qualification will be of specific relevance to:
• Young people interested in a career in thehair and beauty sector who intend, but are not yet ready, to access level 1 qualifications.
• Young people and adults, including those with learning difficulties and/or disabilities, who wish to work in the hospitality and catering sector but need a grounding in the subject and an opportunity to develop more general workplace skills, usually over a one year period, before applying for work.
What skills, knowledge, or understanding does this qualification develop?
This qualification provides a basic, introductory set of knowledge and skills, relevant to hair and beauty. Mandatory units include:
• Introduction to the Hair and Beauty Sector
• Presenting a professional image in a salon
• Health and Safety in the Salon Environment
Optional units include knowledge and skills relevant to different job roles in the sector (such as hand care, hair styling,) alongside generic employability skills (such as self-management skills and working in at team).
How is this qualification different from other, similar qualifications?
This qualification is part of a suite which includes an Award and Certificate. Learners should take the Certificate if they need a broad introduction to the sector, as well as more generic workplace skills, before progressing to employment (with further training where possible) or to a Level 1 qualification, as illustrated in the target learner profiles provided above.
Which sector does this qualification support?
This qualification could lead to an entry-level role in hair and beauty such as beauty salon assistant, hair salon assistant.
What are the progression options?
Learners can progress to a Level 1 certificate or diploma in Hair and Beauty, including Gateway Qualifications’ Level 1 Certificate and Diploma Hair and Beauty Therapy as well as other Level 1 qualifications such as Hairdressing, Beauty Therapy, Barbering.
Progression & entry requirements
Learners do not need any prior qualifications or a specific level of attainment to take this qualification. It is available to learners of any age.