What is the purpose of this qualification?
The purpose of this qualification is to develop learners' understanding and knowledge in hair and beauty and to support progression to the next level of vocational learning in hair and beauty or a related area. It is anticipated that this qualification will be of specific relevance to:
• Young people interested in a career in the hair and beauty sector who intend, but are not yet ready, to access level 2 qualifications or a level 2 apprenticeship.
• Young people and adults, including those who have had a significant break from or disjointed experience of education, who wish to work in the hair and beauty sector but need a grounding in the subject and an opportunity to develop more general workplace skills, usually over a one year period, before applying for work.
What skills, knowledge, or understanding does this qualification develop?
This qualification provides a range of introductory skills, as well as core knowledge, relevant to hair and beauty, alongside generic employability skills which are needed both in the hair and beauty sector and across other sectors. Mandatory units include:
• Introduction to the Hair and Beauty Sector
• Presenting a Professional Image in a Salon
• Follow health and safety in the salon
Optional units include knowledge and skills relevant to different job roles in the sector (such as colouring hair, skin care, hand care) alongside generic employability skills (such as time-management and solving work-related problems).
How is this qualification different from other, similar qualifications?
This qualification is part of a suite which includes an Award, Certificate and Diploma. Learners should take the Certificate if they need a broad introduction to the sector, as well as more generic workplace skills, before progressing to employment (with further training where possible), to a level 2 Apprenticeship or to a Level 2 qualification, as illustrated in the target learner profiles provided above.
Which sector does this qualification support?
This qualification could lead to an entry-level role in hair and beauty such as junior hairdresser, make-up assistant, nail technician.
What are the progression options?
Learners can progress to a Level 2 certificate or diploma in Hair and Beauty, Barbering, Hairdressing, Beauty Consultancy, Beauty Therapy
Progression & entry requirements
Learners do not need any prior qualifications or a specific level of attainment to take this qualification. It is available to learners of any age.