What is the purpose of this qualification?
This qualification is suitable if the learner needs a short, introductory level 1 course in two related areas of the creative media industry: video editing and video production. It is particularly appropriate for:
• young people on trainee-ships who are working at level 1 and are seeking a short, focused qualification in the sector in which they wish to work/gain an apprenticeship, as part of the work preparation training element of a trainee ship
• learners of any age who have been disengaged with learning and need a short introduction at level 1 before progressing straight to a larger certificate or diploma at level 2
• learners of any age who want to supplement the main element of their programme with a small amount of specialised learning in an area of specific interest to them
• unemployed adults needing to demonstrate their interest in and commitment to the creative media industry to potential employers, particularly where further work-based training will be on offer.
What skills, knowledge, or understanding does this qualification develop?
This qualification covers introductory video-editing and production techniques and technologies and the skills required to plan, create, edit and review a short video sequence. The learner must take the two mandatory units:
• Video Production Skills for Creative Media Industries.
• Video-editing for Creative Media Industries.
How is this qualification different from other, similar qualifications?
This qualification is part of a suite of creative media qualifications at level 1. Learners should take this qualification to develop understanding of Video Production Skills and Video-editing for Creative Media Industries.
Which sector does this qualification support?
The main purpose of the qualification is to support learners progression to further level 1 or level 2 learning, as creative media job roles at this level are limited. However, the learner could progress to an entry-level or trainee job role in the creative media industry such as assistant video editor.
What are the progression options?
The learner can progress to a general level 2 certificate or diploma in creative media or to a more specialised level 2 certificate, for example in moving image production.
Progression & entry requirements
The learners do not need any prior qualifications or a specific level of attainment to take this qualification. It is available to learners of any age.