Prepare for further learning or training and/or develop knowledge and/or skills in a subject area
Qualification Grading Type
Why choose this qualification?
This suite of Level 1 qualifications are intended to provide learners with an introduction to the skills required within the Creative Media Industries. They are designed to support progression to further learning and ultimately to work in the sector or other related sectors.
Rules of Combination
Learners must complete the two units, totalling 12 credits.
What is the purpose of this qualification?
This qualification is suitable if the learner needs a short, introductory level 1 course in two related areas of the creative media industry: video editing and video production. It is particularly appropriate for:
• young people on trainee-ships who are working at level 1 and are seeking a short, focused qualification in the sector in which they wish to work/gain an apprenticeship, as part of the work preparation training element of a trainee ship
• learners of any age who have been disengaged with learning and need a short introduction at level 1 before progressing straight to a larger certificate or diploma at level 2
• learners of any age who want to supplement the main element of their programme with a small amount of specialised learning in an area of specific interest to them
• unemployed adults needing to demonstrate their interest in and commitment to the creative media industry to potential employers, particularly where further work-based training will be on offer.
What skills, knowledge, or understanding does this qualification develop?
This qualification covers introductory video-editing and production techniques and technologies and the skills required to plan, create, edit and review a short video sequence. The learner must take the two mandatory units:
• Video Production Skills for Creative Media Industries.
• Video-editing for Creative Media Industries.
How is this qualification different from other, similar qualifications?
This qualification is part of a suite of creative media qualifications at level 1. Learners should take this qualification to develop understanding of Video Production Skills and Video-editing for Creative Media Industries.
Which sector does this qualification support?
The main purpose of the qualification is to support learners progression to further level 1 or level 2 learning, as creative media job roles at this level are limited. However, the learner could progress to an entry-level or trainee job role in the creative media industry such as assistant video editor.
What are the progression options?
The learner can progress to a general level 2 certificate or diploma in creative media or to a more specialised level 2 certificate, for example in moving image production.
Progression & entry requirementsThe learners do not need any prior qualifications or a specific level of attainment to take this qualification. It is available to learners of any age.
There are now two main sources for funding information, a straightforward ESFA Qualification Search and the more detailed Find a Learning Aim website.
The new Find a learning aim (FALA) service provides a search tool that you can use to check the funding status of any qualification, framework, unit, standard or T Level:
The Education and Skills Funding Agency search provides funding information on qualifications. It does not provide funding information for units, non-regulated activity and work placements, for this information please use Find a learning aim (FALA).
How to find a learning aim
If you’re not sure how to use the new find a learning aim website, we’ve created a handy walkthrough to help you:
We have done our best to collate and summarise the key information, and wherever possible we alert our providers to changes in funding policy.
This funding information is provided in good faith and it is always advisable to check directly with the funding agencies before committing to delivery.
The following support materials will help you to deliver this qualification.