What is the purpose of this qualification?
This qualification is approved to be offered in England only. It offers an engaging programme for learners who have decided that they are going to progress within a career in business administration management. The qualification gives learners the opportunity to develop and knowledge and understanding needed to work within business administration managerial roles.
The qualification is generic and so is suitable for learners working in a wide range of business administration roles. It is aimed at people who need to develop and gain formal recognition of their knowledge, skills and understanding of the business administration environment.
What skills, knowledge, or understanding does this qualification develop?
The qualification comprises of 90 credits and has a minimum of 243-263 guided learning hours.
Learners must achieve a total of 90 credits including 70 credits from the Mandatory Group M and minimum of 20 credits from the Optional Group O.
The mandatory units are:
• Effective communication in business
• Personal and Professional Development
• Understanding Organisations
• Business Ethics
• Resource Management
Learners then can choose from a wide range of optional units which provide them with the flexibility to choose those areas relevant to their particular setting. The units include:
• Managing information and knowledge
• Administrative systems
• Planning and implementing change within businesses
• Planning and managing customer service
• Problem Solving and Decision Making
• Recruitment and Selection of Staff
• Project Management
• Business Law
How is this qualification different from other, similar qualifications?
The Gateway Qualifications Level 4 Diploma in Business and Professional Administration (QCF) is suitable for learners who want a generic qualification which is suitable for a wide range of roles within a business environment. Gateway Qualifications offers other Level 4 qualifications which may be more suitable if learners wish to specialise within specific sectors in a managerial role, for example within the procurement sector.
This qualification is a knowledge based qualification which allows learners to demonstrate their knowledge and understanding within a business administration role.
The following qualifications are available from Gateway Qualifications:
• Gateway Qualifications Level 4 NVQ Diploma in Business Administration is a qualification which is suitable for people working in a wide range of sectors in a business administration role which allows learners to demonstrate skills and competence in the role.
• Gateway Qualifications Level 4 Diploma in Procurement is a
Which sector does this qualification support?
The qualification is the knowledge component of the Higher Apprenticeship Framework for managerial roles within the business administration industry.
This qualification covers the knowledge and understanding needed to work in a managerial role in a range of business administration environments.
This qualification is primarily intended as a means of developing the knowledge and understanding of those already employed within business administration and gives a good grounding for managerial positions in the business administration sector. It forms the knowledge element of the Higher Apprenticeship within this sector.
With additional training, learners may be able to progress in their careers to roles including operations director, business development manager, company secretary or a wide range of managerial roles within business.
What are the progression options?
Learners could complete the higher apprenticeship in business administration and then may choose to progress onto qualifications such as:
• the Level 5 Higher Apprenticeship in Management & Leadership
• further or higher education to undertake business related or other qualifications including foundation degrees in areas such as business, business management, and business administration.
• a range of business and management undergraduate programmes
• a range of business or management professional qualifications at level 5 and above
• further employment opportunities within their current job role/alternative job roles
• specialised qualifications providing additional technical knowledge
• possible membership of professional bodies.
Progression & Entry Requirements
The qualification is available to learners aged 18 and above. It is anticipated that learners undertaking the qualification may already have gained previous qualifications in related subjects, for example, customer service or business administration qualification at Level 3 or A level subjects. They could already have experience within the sector.