What is the purpose of this qualification?
This qualification provides an introductory set of knowledge and skills, relevant to health and care.
It is anticipated that this qualification will be of specific relevance to:
• unemployed adults needing to demonstrate their interest in and commitment to a particular vocational area to potential employers, particularly where further work-based training will be on offer.
• young people on traineeships who are working at level 1 and are seeking a short, focused qualification in the sector in which they wish to work/gain an apprenticeship, as part of the work preparation training element of a traineeship.
• learners of any age who have been disengaged with learning and need a short introduction at level 1 before progressing straight to a larger certificate or diploma at level 2.
What skills, knowledge, or understanding does this qualification develop?
The choice of mandatory units includes at least one of:
• Communication in Health and Social Care (Adults and Children and Young People), Early Years and Childcare
• Person-centred support in health, social care and children’s and young people’s settings
• Equality and inclusion in health, social care and children’s and young people’s settings
• Principles and Values in Health and Social Care (Adults and Children and Young People), Early Years and Childcare
How is this qualification different from other, similar qualifications?
This qualification is part of a suite which includes an Award, Certificate and Diploma. Learners should take the Award if they need only a small amount of focused learning in health and care before progressing to employment (with further training where possible) or to a Level 2 qualification, as illustrated in the target learner profiles provided above.
Which sector does this qualification support?
This qualification could lead to an entry-level role in health and social care such as care worker, community carer, and assistant youth worker.
What are the progression options?
Learners can progress to a Level 2 certificate or diploma in Health and Social Care, including Gateway Qualifications’ Level 2 Certificate and Diploma in Health and Care.
Progression & entry requirements
Learners do not need any prior qualifications or a specific level of attainment to take this qualification. It is available to learners of any age.