Confirm occupational competence and/or ‘licence to practice’
Qualification Grading Type
Why choose this qualification?
This qualification is part of a suite of Education and Training qualifications incorporate the new qualifications that replace the Level 3 Award in Preparing to teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector (PTLLS), Level 4 Certificate in Teaching in the Lifelong Learning Sector (CTLLS)and Level 5 Diploma in Teaching in the Lifelong Learning Sector (DTLLS).
This qualification prepares trainee teachers to teach in a wide range of contexts including further, adult or community education or work-based learning. The qualification confirms occupational competence in teaching in these settings, and combines the study of underpinning theories, frameworks and research into effective teaching and learning alongside the development of practical teaching skills. It requires observation and assessment of performance.
The qualification is for learners who:
- work, or want to work as teachers/trainers in the further education and skills sector
- have just started a teaching/training role
- are pre-service and in-service learners who need a teaching qualification to confirm occupational competence for their role as a teacher, trainer or tutor within an FE college, Adult and Community Learning Centre or Training Provider
- are teachers/trainers who are seeking career progression in their area of work those working with learners on a one-to-one basis
- are learners who teach in industry
- are learners who have already achieve some Learning and Development units that can be counted in this qualification
- are assessors who wish to achieve a teaching/training qualification
There is a practice requirement of a minimum of 100 hours of teaching and there must be a minimum of eight observations of practice, totalling a minimum of eight hours.The qualification covers the knowledge and skills required by teachers/trainers in the further education and training skills sector:
- theories, principles and models in education and training, such as in relation to learning, communication, assessment, curriculum development and evaluation, and how to apply them to own practice
- teaching, learning and assessment in education and training, such as roles, responsibilities and relationships, using initial and diagnostic assessment to agree individual learning goals with learners, planning and delivering inclusive teaching, creating and maintaining a safe, inclusive teaching and learning environment and assessing learning
- understanding professionalism and the influence of professional values in education and training, the policy context of education and training, the impact of accountability to stakeholders and external bodies on education and training, the organisational context of education and training and how to contribute to the quality improvement and quality assurance arrangements of an organisation.
This qualification is available to study through our partnership with Curriculum and Quality Solutions (CQS). For more information and prices please visit the CQS website.